Tuesday, June 14, 2011

a trip out of town

A few weeks ago, Peace Corps had a medicinal plants conference. I work a lot teaching medicinal uses of different plants to our beneficiaries, so I was excited to learn about how to make different salves, syrups, teas, and herbal baths. Plus, as Peace Corps Volunteers, we always look forward to conferences. I know I will stay in a hotel with a shower. I get to see my friends and I get to shave my legs. I have a few days where I do not have to worry about my leaking roof and I can turn on an air conditioner if I want.

This conference I went to last month was, perhaps, my favorite conference yet. The volunteers participating were all good friends of mine, and I hadn't seen a lot of them in a while. Best though, was watching all the Mozambicans at the conference.

Each Peace Corps Volunteer got to bring one counterpart from his or her community. The idea was to bring someone who could help you disseminate the information from the conference one we arrived back at site. I was bringing Mama Louisa. When I told her about the trip, she had many questions. Did she need to bring a blanket? Would there be food there? Could she bring her daughter? I told her that she needed to leave Geralda at home, but that everything would be provided to her when we got there. She did not seem to believe me, but agreed to participate.

The conference took place in Namaacha, Peace Corps Mozambique’s training headquarters. About an hour an a half from Maputo, Namaacha was quite a trek for a number of people. It was the first time some of the participants had left their provinces, ridden on a plane, or been to their nation's capital.

The first night, we had a great time showing our counterparts how to turn on the shower (for many of them, they had never stayed in a hotel before), how to ride in an elevator, and how to use the air conditioning if they wanted it. At dinner, the buffet impressed all of us (there was chocolate pudding for dessert, you can bet I had seconds), and the conference organizers explained we should sit down with our counterparts to discuss the goals we had for the week.

I met Mama Louisa in her room after dinner. We talked about what she wanted to learn that week and what things we wanted to share with the group. As we talked, she kept looking into the mirror. In the hotel rooms were big, full length mirrors. As we talked, the mirror was right in her view, and like I did as a kid, she could not focus on anything but her reflection. I then realized that apart from the hand mirror I had seen in her house, she had probably never found herself in front of a mirror, trying to have a conversation. I could relate, it is really hard to focus on someone else when you can look at yourself making ridiculous faces.

The conference went really well. Mama Louisa was excited to get back and share with everyone what she had learned. We got a lot of resources and ideas for different projects we could start in the community. I think, though, she was equally excited to brag about the hotel we stayed in and the fact that she had been waited on the whole week. Pastor Ricardo, Louisa's husband seemed a bit jealous and asked if he could come to our next conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment