Monday, March 7, 2011

moving south.

I am a pretty light sleeper. So when I woke up to two men jumping out of my window, I was pretty surprised that I had not heard them come in.

More surprised, however, that I had not heard them steal my valuables right off my bed. Pretty sneaky banditos.

After being surprised and annoyed about the fact that my computer was gone (and that I was only half-way through season 3 of Dexter), I sat down to realize that I also did not have a phone, and it being 2:30 in the morning, I had no way to contact Peace Corps or anyone from ASVIMO to sit with me or help me handle the situation. So I waited. At the time, I did not know what else I could do, but I spend the next few hours thinking about my options and about how I could have stopped the situation. The guys had cut the grates off my window (I think they must have done this another day and I just had not noticed) and climbed in. I had been in the process of fixing my windows so they would close and lock, and if I ever wished I had been more proactive about something, this was the moment.

Anyway, I sat there and thought about the situation until it was light enough to feel safe outside of my house. I went for a run, and if there is anything that makes you run fast, its the prospect of finding the guy who had the nerve to break into your house. I was a volunteer, after all. I was here to help this community, not get robbed by it.

It was not until after I had showered and was talking to my neighbor that what had happened really set in. As I explained to my neighbor, I just burst into tears. Crying is not something Mozambicans do in public, so she was justly surprised as she agreed that stealing from others "nao e vida."

Around 6:30, I decided to see if anyone was at ASVIMO yet. Most of my neighbors do not have phones, so I would have to wait until one of my counterparts arrived to call Peace Corps and explain what had happened. Luckily, we were starting March food distribution that day, so Esperanca had come in early to prepare a few things. As she nonshelantly asked how I had slept, I started crying again (I don't know why I could not keep it together, but I couldn't), and she sat me down and had me explain. She then called Gimo who called the local police to come to talk with me. I was able to track down the Peace Corps emergency number and explain what had happened.

The morning from then on out happened very quickly. Peace Corps communicated with Gimo and decided that Dondo, and its proximity to Beira, was not a safe place for me. Break ins are very common among volunteers in Mozambique, but break ins in which the person actually enter the house are very uncommon. Anyway, by mid afternoon, there was a Peace Corps car waiting to pack up my house and take my to the office. I refused to put everything in the car, convinced that I could negotiate with Peace Corps to let me stay in Dondo. I locked all of my things, save the charger for the computer (which they had not stolen, joke is on you!), and clothes for a few days, in the warehouse at ASVIMO and promised my activistas I would be back by Monday.

When I arrived in Chimoio, at the Peace Corps office, it was clear that I would not be going back. Peace Corps had already officially closed my site due to security reasons, and I would no longer be working in Dondo. I really had spent the last three months becomming a part of the community of Dondo, and especially of my bairro, Mafarinha. I hated the prospect of leaving. If for no other reason because this community clearly had people who were living in a state of desperation.

But nothing could convince Peace Corps to let me stay. The next week, I returned to Dondo and had to explain to my neighbors that I would not be coming back. It was really hard to say goodbye, especially to the women next door and to the activistas I had worked with. It does not really make sense to just leave when your house is broken into. If that happened in the states, you would get a better security system or a taller fence. Explaining to my community that though I wanted to help, the community was not safe enough for me was very hard. Especailly since I was not convinced. But I gave each of the kids a hug and the women my regards, and I drove away.

A few days later, I heard from Peace Corps that they had found me a new site in Gaza province, in the south. My new town is called Manjakaze and I will be working with a South African NGO called Mozaic. The work with Mozaic seems very interesting and after speaking with the director of the organization I am really excited to get to move down and start working. I will be working on building capacity for the organization on their nutrition and food security projects.

I do not have many more details at this point, but I will keep everyone as up to date as I can.

On a lighter note, packing up my house in an hour was quite an adventure (as some of you who have lived with me or helped me pack in the past know, try as I can, I somehow always tend to accumulate a lot of things, especially compared to most Mozambicans). George and Maria helped me, and I hope they know how much I appreciated their help. Throughout the whole packing up, anything from the states, Maria would hold up and ask what it was for. She tasted soy sauce for the first time and thought my Burt's Bees shampoo smelled great. When she found my deodorant, she asked what it was for, and after I told her it was to smell good, she asked how to use it. I showed her how and she was totally impressed. I told her she could take the stick (Tom's lavender hops deoderant is so delightful) and her entire face lit up.

I am pretty sure Maria will be the best smelling person in Mozambique.

And I am positive that I will miss her.

14 comments:

  1. Hey Naomi!

    My 7th grade geography students from Colorado Springs should be posting most of the day tomorrow! I hope everything is going better. We miss you here in the states!

    Joe (Or Mr. Laliberte) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Naomi,

    We have been studying on Sub-Saharan Africa for quit a while. I have learned about many of the Countries Example (Kenya, Liberia, and South Africa). I have also learned about many Ethnic Groups. I think that we should help the Asian Ethnic Group. I have learned about all the kinds of physical features. I have heard that some of the people their live in poverty (sorry if that was rude). I have also heard about all the many problems in the village you are currently staying in. Mr. Laliberte had mentioned that you were working with some women earthier in micro enterprise or women who have worked with micro enterprise. Well this is all I know for now.
    So here are some questions I have for you. What is it like to live in Sub-Saharan Africa? What is the climate like their? How many children their have HIV or AIDS? How long ago were you in Colorado? What type of shelter are you staying in? why would you want to stay for two more years?
    Know I’m going to tell you what ever I wanted to add. Did you know children’s (parents, aunties, and grandparents) would live together. Fathers and mothers would work in the farm while the grandparents would take care of their grandchildren. Grandchildren or the kids would play in the sand while their grandparents would sit underneath a tree near bye. Fathers would clip their bushes and mothers would gather the food. Children have lost their parents, parents have lost their children, and grandparents have lost their daughter, or son in war. Inanition to war HIV, AIDS, famine, and malaria these all tend to kill children in record numbers.

    With much love
    Hannah Barnes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dare Naomi
    Hi my name is AB. I have been wonting to ask you some questions. When you got there was there lost of deserts? Did you have to learn a different language? Did you see lots of racism? Is it hard to find stuff? Do you yews different money then the USA? These are so thing about me. I won’t to stop racism because I feel they ant doing anything to stop it. I love that you are helping to teach children. I also won’t to help kids like you do. These are some thing I know about where you live. There is lots of poverty. They have very busy stress. Also it very crowded.

    Sincerely AB

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Naomi,
    I live here in Colorado Springs; my name is SJ im in Mr.lalibertes class. I want to tell you what I already know about sub-Sahara Africa. It is hot there and it rains once or twice a year. There are some towns are living in poverty. Some women there are starting businesses so they can get out of poverty and
    Start a new life. Oh and I have some questions if you don’t mind. How is life in Africa for you and your studies? What is the weather really like in Africa? Do towns were you teach are they in poverty? What do you enjoy most about sub-Sahara Africa? Do you like your job? I know I would love that job teaching studies new things everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Naomi,

    How is the weather in Mozambique? Here in Colorado it is hard to tell because one moment it can be snowing then it will change and be sunny? How is the education there? In Carmel Middle School we have great teachers and one of the best is my Social Studies teacher Mr. Laliberte. Before I couldn’t understand it, but know I do. Also, we have great activities here such as: rock climbing, DJ Club, cooking class, and more. What do you like to do for fun? For me I enjoy playing basketball. As matter of fact I’m on the basketball team. I have two more question for you, what made you want to start blogging, and why do you love to visit different countries. I want you to know that after hearing about what you do, it has inspired me to try to do the same. I hope that what I said makes you happy enough to write me back. Hope to hear from you soon.

    Sincerely’
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Naiomi,



    I am supposed to explain what I learned in geography well, what I learned was the Aparthied and how the Blacks. Coloreds, and the Asians suffered a whole lot. Also what I know is about Sub-Saharan Africa in Colonism, another is Cultural Region, and another is Ethnic Diversity, and the last thing I know about Sub-Saharan Africa is the Linguistic Groups. Some questions I have are What is the Climate? Next what is the population there? And the last question I have is there anyone there rich? That’s all the questions I have now to explain me well, my name is Morgan Marie Wenzel and I am from Michagan are you actually from there? Well that’s all have to say.





    Sincerely MW Period 1

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Naomi,

    Hi my name is TW. I live in Colorado Springs, Co. I have never been to Mozambique before. Even thouqh I have never been there, I have always wanted to see it. Recently in Social studies class, Mr. Laliberte taught us about your country for the past 2-3 weeks. He explained to us all about desertification. I was also informed about what has happened with voting and apartheid recently. South Africa From what I heard also is very rich. Apparently your country has found a lot of oil and different resources. Also, There must be many different ethnic groups, Mr. Laliberte has taught us about, around where you live. Yesterday, he told us a little bit about Peace Corps and what they do but didn’t tell us much. So if you don’t mind and have time for a few questions, While being a Peace Corps volunteer what kind of things do you do during the day? Do you like your job? How long have you lived in Mozambique? Do you like it there? Anyways, thank you for taking the time to read this, I hope you write back.
    Sincerely,
    TW<3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Naomi,
    I’ve never been to South Africa but I would like to go. I also herd you live there, and you volunteer for Peace Corps. Mr. Laliberte kind of explained what Peace Corps are but I think you could explain it better. Right now I live in Colorado Springs and the weather is hot and cold. What’s the weather like in Mozambique? To be honest with you I don’t know a lot about South Africa, all I know is that some speak French and that there are a lot of different ethnic groups. Other than that I was wondering if there are any professional sports there?

    Blog back soon,
    Celine 7 grade

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Naomi,

    My name is SV. I am twelve years old and live here in Colorado Springs. I’m currently attending Carmel Middle School in the seventh grade. We have studying about Sub-Saharan Africa. One fact is that Sub-Saharan Africa has many ethnic groups. Ethnic means a group of people who share the same race or religion. For nearly 500,000 years the Sub-Saharan has attracted people from through North America. Early residents came when the Sub-Saharan was lush and teeming with wildlife. This means different types of wildlife everywhere. As the region became a desert the Sub-Saharan residents turned to live stock herding, and to trade caravans that brought money and goods south. Now with just limited people per square, the religions residents can seem afloat in a sea of sand. Among them are Arabs, Berbers, Bendouins, Fulani, Nubians, and Tuarea. Those are five facts about Sub-Saharan Africa. What is a part that is still affected in your country? What is like teaching?


    Sincerely S.V

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Naomi,

    Hi my name is JA, I’m thirteen years old and I live in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I currently attend Carmel Middle as a seventh grader. My favorite activity to do is build things and write. I live in a very urban neighborhood, so I can relate to your community.
    In social studies we have recently been studying sub-saharan Africa. I know some basic facts about your region. For one, I know that it’s hot there because it’s along the equator. Also, I know micro-enterprises are founded and ran by micro-entrepreneurs. I also know that where you live, many are suffering due to desertification. Another fact I know is that apartheid was ended in 1990. After apartheid ended Nelson Mandela ran for office.
    I have a couple of questions for you. Are the weather conditions harsh there? Do you ever feel really bad for the Africans? Do you love doing your job?

    Sincerely,
    J.A.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Naomi,

    We’ve been studying the sub-Saharan Africa for the last month. We found out that women lift themselves out of poverty with micro-enterprises. Also, that women and men have different jobs due to gender-based-division of labor. I have learned that the Sahara desert is expanding into the Sahel. After apartheid ended, black citizens of South Africa earned many rights. At last, I know that most of voters in South Africa are black.

    I have some questions for you. Did people seem racist when you arrived at Mozambique? How many types of ethnic groups are there? Also, do you know any other languages?

    To tell you about me, I moved to Colorado from California. I like to be in school. Plus, I like speedy and accelerated things.

    Sincerely,

    JR

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Naomi,

    I Know that Sub-Saharan Africa is going through difficult times because of racisms, Poverty, and many different ethnic groups. Another fact is that there are many micro entrepreneurs and micro enterprises . Also there are many people with different cultures in an ethnic group. There are many different cultures in an ethnic group because the Europeans separated many cultures and didn’t care because all they wanted were there natural recourses. So now there many different cultures in ethnic groups. Also I know that Nelson Mandela became president.
    I also have a couple of questions for you. What is it like to live in Africa? What language s do you speak there, and what language do you speak to people? Also I wanted to know how much do you know about the other peoples culture?
    Now I’m going to tell you about myself. I am an Asian living in Colorado springs, Co. I lived here since 2000. I was born in Fresno California in 1998 on may 29th. I am 12 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Naomi,

    I am JN. I live in the States and have been studying public health. I would really like to have a talk with you about how you are changing the world. Sorry for your hardships, but know that you and your story is motivating.

    Kind regards,
    JN

    ReplyDelete